Friday, February 1, 2013

H's Short Story


I remember it all clearly, what I was wearing, and who I saw, and what my last words were. The day I died. I was walking from the orphanage to the park I had music blaring in one of my ears. The other ear bud was hanging by my side. I trotted along the road, people walked around me ignoring me, just the way I like it.
 

“HEY HOMELESS!” a wicked little voice yelled from across the street, Tristan. He did a little cocky saunter over to my spot on the street. I turned around, trying to ignore him.


“How’s life on the lonely side? Hey could you get me “Annie’s” phone number? I like girls that sing.” This went on forever I jammed the other ear bud into my ear and walked faster toward the orphanage again tuning out everything. I turned the corner and rushed to the cross walk. I then felt a sharp tug on my left shoulder, it was the relentless Tristan, and I hadn’t even noticed him following me. I turned around and shoved him way , then ran across the street timing it perfectly so that the light turned green and Tristan was cut off by what seemed like hundreds of cars speeding by.


But as I turned around to make sure he wasn’t following I was just in time to see the big truck barreling toward me. Then suddenly the world froze. The car was almost on me I straightened up and looked around, some people haven’t noticed but other people like Tristan were watching and had a horrified look on their frozen face. Tristan was about to run into the street. I stumbled up and look around. I saw that I left a shimmering outline of my death position. I ran to the edge of the street but a clear invisible wall restrained me from running I pushed and pushed until a hole formed in the wall showing a room full of doors. Suddenly knew what this room was where I say good bye to the people who loved me I stepped into the room and watched the hole melt away, leaving me in the room alone. I waited and waited until one door creaked open. A short plump woman walked in. I towered over her but I could see the resemblances between us, my real mom. The one I was taken away from when I was young. She brushed the stray hairs out of my face and placed a soft kiss on my cheek. I could see the damage the alcohol has done to her as she limped away. I held tears behind my eyes but the next person was too much. Tristan ran over to me and embraced me in his strong arms I cried for what seemed like forever. I sank to the ground and he rocked me as we both cried. I just wish he would actually remember this moment. Next thing I knew I was alone Tristan was gone and I was in a room full of screens showing years of my life. But this wasn’t necessary I had a bad childhood the first time I didn’t need to watch again.



I shoved open a small door and looked through. I saw the world still frozen and my spot still shimmering ready to take me away. Suddenly I ran toward it past everything leaving it all behind. I fit myself into the spot and then the world unfroze, I felt a blinding pain I yelled for Tristan and in so little time I was able to see his face as a man caught him from running for me. Then I died.

7 comments:

  1. Terrific Story, Harriet! Sad, but wonderful.

    I really liked the "shimmering outline" of her death position and your idea about the room full of doors where she says goodbye to people who loved her.

    I hope you post more.
    Love,

    Aunt Rowan

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! Every time I read this I am mesmerized - I love the way the story moves along, the point of view and your description of Tristan. This is a rich story - as it stands on its own but also suggests a much larger and grander story. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Harriet!

    I love the imjagery and scene setting you have done. I also think you have gotten into this girl's head and presented it very well. Am looking forward to more stories from you!

    Keep it up!

    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harriet, what a beautifully written story! Your descriptions are so vivid. Keep on wrinting.

    Love, papa

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO dramatic and mysterious...great images of passion and emotion. keep going girl!

    ReplyDelete