Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Another one of Harriet's "heart warming" short storys


                 Rustle in the bushes indicated that I wasn’t alone. I wiped my head around trying to find where it was coming from.  I kept running, hopefully to somewhere safer, but the maze just went on, and on. But as I ran I noticed the shrubs were getting thicker, taller and darker. Is this the way they want me to die? Mauled by a tiger or bear, or suffocated by a shrub in a dark, scary maze. I take a moment to catch my breath. Everything seemed quiet, my eyes drifted up. The walls towered thirty feet above me, no way to climb those. My hand brushed the soft ivy, but then gasped, it was poison oak. I drew to a corner made of solid brick a wept until my eyes went dry. It seemed like forever has past and my hand already had small welts on it. I attempted not to breathe too loudly but my gasps for air were raspy and cold. I looked up again, a light; it was coming closer, getting bigger my scream was drowned out by a loud buzzing and a sound like knifes against a chalkboard.
      The light blocked my vision, I dropped to my knees. I crawled blindly away smashing into brick and brushing poison ivy as I went. Finally I rounded a corner and the light went out. Darkness surrounded me again. My eyes adjusted back to the dark but everything was blurry. So was that their plan to blind me so that a beast can sneak up on me. I rubbed my eyes and kept going.  But suddenly I heard a soft growl behind me. I jumped up and ran, ran until I ran straight into a branch sticking out from the vines. My head began to spin I wandered hopelessly through the maze until I walked right into a brick wall. I stumbled back and then I heard the rocks shift. I ran my hands across the cracks between the stones and pushed. The rocks moved back and then the cracks began spraying water, the rocks tumbled to the ground and to my horror a large wave of water knocked me over and I fell under. The water was so strong that the wall next to me began to fall apart. As I flailed around in the water attempting to reach the surface pieces of stone flew themselves at me. A large sharp rock cut me deep in the side and a pipe that had been stacked on the top of the wall struck me hard in the head. Spots popped in front of my eyes. I threw my hand up in a last desperate grasp for life, and then I felt the air. My head brock the surface and I gasped for air, the waves around me threw my flailing body every witch way until I was able the grab on to a vine hanging down from the wreckage of a wall. I pulled myself through the water until I grabbed on to the top of the wrecked wall. I laid down on the top of the bricks and tried to regain my breath my eyes flickered and I fell into a deep sleep. 

2 comments: